Saturday, April 08, 2006

The Da Vinci Code Part 1





Outside of theology books, I don't read very much, in fact, I can't remember the last time I read a novel (I tried reading "The Pilgrim Progress", a year ago but I never finished- I know I am an embarrassment to all who declares to be called "Reformed"). So after 3 weeks, I finally finished my first novel since college, and the book happened to be "The Da Vinci Code" by Dan Brown, which I read in order to prepare FPC with the challenges that will come from the movie, premiering in May.

Well first of all, I did find the book to be riveting and exciting, as I followed the two main characters (Robert and Sophie) on the quest for the Holy Grail, and with it all the secrets of "who Jesus Christ really is". But as the book began to unfold its idea of Jesus (according to Dan Brown), it became clear to me, that this book is and will be very dangerous to the Christian faith because it creates so much suspicion toward the historic Christ, revealed in the Bible

In these series of post, I want to cite some of the book's challenges towards orthodox Christianity, and then supply an answer to them by quoting Bishop (Tom) Wright's, a renowned New Testament scholar, article, "Decoding The Da Vinci Code".*

*http://www.spu.edu/depts/uc/response/summer2k5/features/davincicode.asp

No comments: