Tuesday, November 15, 2005

The Theresa Interview Part 1:



1. Tell us briefly about your background, especially as it relates to God and Christ?- In high school, I attended church on-and-off with my family but was extremely unaware of reasons behind going. I mainly went to church to feel good about myself, trying to obtain a long "streak" of attendance. I remember being proud of myself for going eight times in a row. It was all "head-knowledge", if anything. After high school, I started wondering exactly why this man named Jesus had to die on the cross for me. In college, I began questioning and exploring the purpose of life. Eventually, a friend invited me Chinese Bible Study, where I met other believers and was told how to have a relationship with God. This blew me away - since I never heard the concept of GOD wanting a relationship with ME. I became a Christian in the spring of 1998, and started learning how to worship God with my life. Since then, my knowledge of God has become "heart-knowledge" instead of mere facts.

2. What are you currently doing now?- I've put aside my art-teaching job for the moment, working part-time to support Jason (husband) in seminary.

3. What type of Christian ministry are you involved in?- Working in the office of a graduate theological school in Vancouver,Canada (Carey Theological College).

4. What do you find to be the hardest part of your ministry?- It's hard to meet non-Christians. Since I'm surrounded by big-time theological professors and novelists, seminarian students, etc., I find it hard to make non-Christian relationships.

5. What advice would you give a young person in discerning God's direction for them in their future occupation and ministry?- I'm not even sure! But what I CAN say is that when the Lord opens apath for you, you should take it. I've seen instances in my so-called career and Jason's where God has definitely opened opportunities, we followed...and so far it's been good.

6. What people have influence you the most in your Christian life?- Leslie Mei, discipler and friend- Sandy Lu, questioner and friend- Julia Chen, encourager and friend- Jason Tarn, husband and friend

7. What are 5 essential books you would recommend, besides the Bible?- "Through Gates of Splendor" by Elisabeth Elliott, followed by the documentary film "Beyond the Gates of Splendor" (2004): awesomebiography/story of missionaries- "Let the Nations Be Glad" by John Piper: great perspective on missions- "Fresh Wind, Fresh Fire" by Bill Hybels: easy read on how a church can grow through prayer- "Mission: Africa" or "The aWAKE Project" or"www.oneliferevolution.org": anything that makes you aware of the AIDS crisis in Africa- "The Little Prince" by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry: light and fun kid's book, it's dreamy!

8. What advice would you give a young Christian, as he or she walks with God?- Read the Word of God, "meditate on it day and night, so that you maybe careful to do everything written in it (Joshua 1:8)- Pray for others as much as you can- Share and talk with others about what God is doing in your life

9. What are some of your hobbies?- Art/Painting/Drawing/Decorating- Singing/Listening to music- Sleeping

No comments: